Friday, September 9, 2011

Chocolate-Filled Biscuits

So I was at Costco a few weeks ago, and if you bought a box of 4 bottles of Wyndham Estates red wine (which is delicious) it came with a free Donna Hay Simple Essentials cookbook. And I love cookbooks. And wine. So, yay!

And since I try to bring a new and different baked good to the office every week, this week I tried something new out of the cookbook.  These are tiny cookies though. It's hard to see it... but they're SOOOOO tiny. And delicious.


Chocolate-Filled Biscuits
Biscuits
65g (2 1/4 oz) cold butter, chopped
1/4 cup (40g, 1 1/2 oz) icing (confectioner's) sugar -- sifted
1/2 cup (75g, 2 1/2 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
2 1/2 t cornflour (cornstarch)
1 T cocoa powder
1 egg yolk

Chocolate Ganache (make half this recipe, and you'll have plenty leftovers)
1 1/2 cups (375 mL, 12 fl oz) cream (single or pouring)
340 g (12 oz) finely chopped dark chocolate


Chocolate Ganache (Make this first)
  1. Heat cream in small saucepan over medium heat and bring to boil.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in dark chocolate.
  3. Let melt, then stir until glossy and smooth (and delicious!).
  4. Set aside to cool.
Biscuits
  1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
  2. Put butter, icing sugar, flour, cornflour, cocoa and egg yolk in food processor (I used hand blenders, would have been better in a food processor). Mix until soft dough forms
  3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  4. Roll teaspoons of mixture into balls, place on baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and flatten slightly.
  5. Bake 5-7 minutes until bases are lightly cooked.
  6. Cool on trays.
  7. Sandwich biscuits with chocolate ganache.
(makes 22)

My thoughts on this recipe:
Firstly, I have never actually sifted ingredients. Apparently you need to own a sieve to do this, and I don't. Generally I don't notice a difference, however with the icing sugar it does make a difference. My icing sugar was a bit hard so even after mixing it was a bit chunky and I ended up with biscuits that had little white 'chunks' in it of icing sugar.  Tasted good - looked nasty. 
Secondly, even with the halving of the recipe, I still have a bowl with most of the ganache leftover sitting in my fridge, I'm still not sure what to do with it.  
Third,  I'd highly recommend doubling the biscuit recipe - I ended up with only like... 15 cookies?  I think mine were a bit bigger than they were supposed to be, even though I actually used a teaspoon to measure them out. I think it was a combination of my butter not being cold enough and my oven not heating evenly. 

Anyways, these were delicious, and my office mates had many compliments :D

No comments:

Post a Comment