Anyway, a friend of mine was having a barbecue last weekend, and I volunteered to bring some desserts so that I could put some of those delicious berries to good use. I thought about strawberry tarts, but I was afraid that leaving custard out in the sun would be a disaster. I decided to do something I hardly ever do, check out all the food apps on my phone! It was fun, and I found a recipe for blueberry hand pies which looked both easy and delicious! I decided to make them tiny, so that they would make a good bite-sized treat.
Blueberry Mini Hand Pies
1 pint fresh blueberries (or 2 cups frozen)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 egg whisked with 1 tsp water
1 1/2-2 packets puff pastry, or your own recipe for flaky pastry
white flour, for dusting
- Defrost pastry overnight in fridge, or on counter in the middle of summer for a few hours.
- Once your pastry is defrosted, preheat oven to 375F/190C
- In a large bowl, mix blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Dust your counter or workspace and your rolling pin with flour, then roll out one pastry block at a time into a large sheet.
- Cut pastry into small (1 1/2" by 2", or your preference) rectangles.
- Spoon a small portion of blueberry mixture onto one half of pastry rectangles, then fold over and seal the two sides of pastry .
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and lightly brush the top of the pastries with the egg bath, then sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating trays halfway through. Pastry should be golden and unfortunately some of that delicious blueberry juice should be leaking out onto the parchment.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, then enjoy!
Enjoy some tasty seasonal fruits, everyone!