Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cherry Tomatoes and Brie on a Toasted English Muffin

For lunch the other day, I raided my fridge for 'whatever might go bad soon but still looks edible'. I ended up whipping together something that is halfway between bruschetta and a caprese salad, I suppose.


Cherry Tomatoes and Brie on a Toasted English Muffin
English muffin
Cherry tomatoes
Brie
Fresh basil
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
  1. Let brie sit on counter for a few moments to soften.
  2. Lightly toast english muffin, until crunchy on the outside but not burnt.
  3. Wash and chop cherry tomatoes (I quartered them and then sliced those in half).
  4. Rinse and coarsely chop fresh basil.
  5. Put tomatoes and and basil on toasted english muffin, sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic, then with salt & pepper (to taste).
  6. Apply small dobs of brie over surface (I cut off the rind).
  7. Toast in toaster oven for ~2 minutes, to soften the cheese.
  8. Enjoy!

I had a little nub of leftover brie from this weekend, so this seemed like a great way to use it. Any cheese works of course, but I'd say a nice soft cheese is just about perfect.  A month or so ago, we picked up a pack of flavour-infused olive oils from Costco, and so today I used one that was infused with basil. It's a very subtle flavour- but there is a huge difference between good quality olive oil and regular. I always use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or an infused oil) when cooking, but the flavour difference really shines the most when the oil isn't used for cooking, but rather as a dressing.

PS - It's my birthday and last night I made maple butter tarts. Best Birthday Breakfast Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment